Vasnetsov House and Museum

Dom-muzei Vasnetsova

The House and Museum of the famous Russian painter Viktor Vasnetsov (Muscovites call it "Teremok", a countryside lodge) is a brilliant example of the neo-Russian style, which in fact is an affiliate of the Tretyakov Art Gallery. The house with a workshop where the artist lived with his family from 1894 till 1926 was built by the painter's sketches and drawings between 1893 and 1894. The windows of the house are decorated with plasterwork corbel arch jambs and small columns, colorful tiles with plant ornaments decorate the facade of the house and its stoves. On Wednesdays the house saw gatherings of many prominent personalities, such the Tretyakovs, Mamontovs, Ilya Repin, Valentin Serov, Vasily Polenov, Vasily Surikov, Feodor Chaliapin.

The museum was opened in 1953 and today it has over 25,000 exhibits, including paintings, graphics, applied arts, household items. The ground floor features the rooms of the family members, dining area and the sitting room. The furniture from the dining and sitting rooms was custom made at the Stroganov and Abramtsevo workshops, Vasnetsov himself designed it together with his brother Arkady in the region of Vyatka.

The artist's workshop is located at the first floor, here Vasnetsov finished his best artworks, the Bogatyrs (1881-1898) and Ivan the Terrible (1897). The paintings featured in the workshop were inspired by in the images of Russian folklore, among them are the seven canvases Vasnetsov called the Poem of Seven Fairy Tales which includes the Unsmiling Tsarevna, Flying Carpet, Baba Yaga, Sleeping Princess, Sivka-Burka, Kashchey the Deathless.

Address: Vasnetsov side street, 13 (pereulok Vasnetsova, 13)
Opening hours: Wed-Sun 10 am – 5 pm, ticket offices and entrances till 4 pm, closed on Mon, Tue and the last Thu of each month.
How to reach: Sukharevskaya, Prospekt Mira metro stations
Coordinates: 55.77676, 37.62607