Saint Andrew's Cathedral

Saint Andrew's Cathedral

The history of the Anglican Cathedral of Saint Andrew, the main cathedral for 26 parishes and more than 55 communities of Singapore, is full of unusual and weird facts. Being an Anglican temple, it is dedicated to the patron of Scotland, Saint Andrew, because its construction was financed by Scottish merchants. The first, Palladian version of it was designed by George D. Coleman in the 1830s. An Irish architect, George Coleman, who elaborated the so-called Colonial style, is considered to be the first Singapore architect. The Old Parliament House and Armenian church are among his most famous creations.

The second design project for the church was elaborated by John T. Thompson, a British engineer and constructor. The building, which was finished in 1982, was struck by lightnings on numerous occasions. There were even rumors circulating the city telling about the evil spirits living within the cathedral's walls, who were the cause for that. As a result, the church was closed and in 1855 it was demolished. It fact, the problem was in its tower with the spire that attracted lightnings.

The third, modern variant, appeared thanks to Ronald MacPherson, an engineer and superintendent of convicts. To reduce the costs of the cathedral's construction MacPherson used labor of Indian prisoners, as in fact he did on many other construction sites of the period. The new church was designed in neo-gothic style. Daniel Wilson, the bishop of Calcutta, laid the foundation stone of the future church in 1856, and the first sermon took place already on October 1, 1861.

Saint Andrew's Cathedral has three features that will help you identify it as an Anglican church. The first is that it has the Canterbury Stone in its pillar with engraved bronze cross – a gift from Canterbury Cathedral. The pillar that supports the pulpit bears the Coventry Cross made up of two silver –plated iron nails taken from the ruins of the 14th century Coventry Cathedral. The third is the Coronation Carpet in the Epiphany Chapel, which is a portion of the carpet that was used during the coronation Queen Elizabeth II in Westminster Abbey.

Address: 11 St Andrew's Rd
How to reach: MRT City Hall NS25, EW13
Coordinates: 1.29231, 103.85221