Montjuïc Castle

Castell de Montjuïc

The very top of the Montjuïc hill (173 meters above the sea level) is occupied by a fortress with the same name, the history of which reflects the history of the whole region. A medieval watchtower turned into a defensive fortress in the middle of the 17th century during the Catalan Revolt against Philip IV, the King of Spain. It was later severely damaged during the war of the Spanish Succession in 1700-1714. Then the fortress was rebuilt, surrounded by a moat, which is now peacefully covered by flowers, and has become one of the symbols of Spanish rule. The cannons of the fortress, dominating the city and the sea, were directed not against a foreign enemy, but on Barcelona itself, and were shot during public revolts of the 1840s. At the end of the 19th century, this menacing fortress became a prison, where anarchists and republicans after their defeat in the Civil war were executed.

In 1963 Franco ordered to open a war museum here. The Spanish military authorities finally gave the fortress to the city only in 2007. The municipality wants to rehabilitate its dismal fame by opening an international peace center here. The fortress now is one of the best observation decks in the city, opening a wonderful view on the sea. Those interested in warfare can also have a look at fortification constructions and several ammunition examples, remaining from the war museum.

Address: Carretera de Montjuïc, 66
Opening hours: November 1 – March 31 daily 10 am - 6 pm, April 1 – October 31 daily 10 am - 8 pm; closed on January 1 and December 25
How to reach: from metro Espanya by bus 150; from Paral∙lel up to Parc de Montjuïc by funicular; by Telefèric de Montjuïc up to Castell
Coordinates: 41.364007, 2.165496