Beyazit Mosque

Beyazıt Camii

The Beyazit Mosque, built at the order of Sultan Beyazit II in 1500-1506, is situated on the Bayazit Square. It is the oldest remaining imperial construction in the city, built under considerable architectural influence of Hagia Sophia. The interior of the mosque also copies that of the cathedral. The Beyazit Mosque had become the second biggest mosque after the Fatih Mosque, which appeared after the conquest of Constantinople in 1453. The mosque has two minarets, decorated with brick ornaments.

The religious complex traditionally included a mosque, a medrese, a hospital, a public kitchen for the poor, a hammam and a Caravanserai. The Caravanserai and the former canteen now belong to the city library with the book collection of more than 120 thousand volumes and 7 thousand manuscripts. The medrese now houses a museum of calligraphy (closed for reconstruction).

Construction elements from destroyed Byzantine monuments were used when building the mosque. Dome-shaped portal in Seljuk style leads to the courtyard, decorated with precious colored marble. There is a fountain in the middle of the yard. The Beyazit Mosque, as many mosques of the early Ottoman period, was initially designed to accommodate merchants, pilgrims and nomadic dervishes. In the north-west the mosque is adjoined with a courtyard colonnaded with twenty columns salvaged from Byzantine churches and ancient ruins, and roofed with 24 small domes. Behind the mosque is a small garden containing an octagon-shaped tomb of Sultan Bayazit II and his daughter Selçuk. Grand Vizier Mustafa Reşid Pasha was buried in the third tomb in 1857.

Address: Beyazıt Mh., Ordu Cad.
How to reach: Beyazıt (TR1)
Coordinates: 41.010099, 28.965472