Ribbeckhaus

Ribbeckhaus

Four identical ornate gables crown the only preserved Renaissance house in the old Berlin constructed in 1624 for the court dignitary Hans Georg Ribbeck. Soon the building was sold to Anna Sophie Braunschweig-Luneburg and rebuilt according to the tastes of its new owner. After Anna Sophie’s death in 1659 the title to the house was transferred to Friedrich Wilhelm, the Elector of Brandenburg. Later on the house hosted various state authorities. It is especially interesting to see the gate of the house decorated with the coats of arms of the former owners. In 1960 the original coats of arms were replaced by its copies. It is worth looking at unusual forged window grates on the ground floor of the house.

Address: Breite Straße 35
Opening hours: Mon - Fri 10 am – 7 pm, Sat 1 pm – 6 pm, Sun closed
How to reach: Hausvogteiplatz U2
Coordinates: 52.515803, 13.403711