Marcher Museum

Märkisches Museum

History of the museum dates back to the times when Berlin was turning into a large industrial centre. Marcher Museum was opened in 1874 and in 1908 it was moved to another building where it has been located since then and until nowadays. Major architect on the project of museum’s building was Ludwig Hoffmann who combined two architectural styles: the gothic and Renaissance. Today lower floors of the museum host the exposition devoted to the ancient times: stone tools and household objects. The interior of the museum also seeks to evoke the atmosphere of different historical settings. For example, on the ground floor there are low vaulted ceilings and roughly plastered walls; the setting for the medieval altars and sculptures is a vaulted Gothic chapel echoing medieval church interiors; rococo porcelain and snuffboxes are displayed in elegant vitrines in a light and airy room on the second floor. During the Second World War most part of the exposition was lost and the building of the museum was badly damaged. After the reunification of Germany in 1995 Marcher Museum became the home for the City of Berlin Museum foundation which also operates 16 other museum sites. All in all exposition of the Marcher Museum comprises about 50 exposition halls.

Address: Am Köllnischen Park 5
Opening hours: Tue - Sun 10 am – 6 pm, Mon closed
How to reach: Märkisches Museum U2
Coordinates: 52.513675, 13.415088