Ermelerhaus

Ermelerhaus

The house was originally built in the XVII century and was named after the tobacco dealer Ferdinand-Wilhelm Ermeler who purchased the house in 1824. The family owned the house until 1914. With a range of cultural events the house became an important intellectual meeting place in Berlin. It was sold to the city for one million golden marks in 1914. Until 1931 the house hosted the municipal library and between 1932 and 1845 it was a department of the Brandenburg Museum. Due to reconstruction works in the centre of Berlin in 1967-1968 it was decided to dismantle the Ermelerhaus but the ceiling and wall paintings, railings, the pink room and other details were first removed from the building to be later restored in the new building in Märkisches Ufer. In 1969 Ermelerhaus was opened as one of the few luxurious restaurants in East Berlin. Rooms of the ground floor housed the wine restaurant while the attic floor housed a cafe. Unfortunately after the reunification of Berlin the restaurant lost its popularity and had to be closed. In 1977 a chain of hotels purchased Ermelerhaus and the neighbouring building with the purpose of creating a hotel complex.

Address: Märkisches Ufer 10
How to reach: Märkisches Museum U2; Heinrich-Heine-Str. U8
Coordinates: 52.512741, 13.409658