Brücke Museum

Brücke Museum

The museum represents the creative work of the oldest German group of artists called Die Brücke (The Bridge). This group had the most significant impact on development of the art of the XX century. The group was founded in 1905 in Dresden by four students: Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Fritz Bleyl, Karl Schmidt-Rotluff and Ernst Haeckel, later the group was joined by Max Pechstein and Emil Nolde, and in 1910 by Otto Mueller. These artists promoted the artistic language and critical thinking to the traditional academic paintings and later on contributed to the development of the expressionism. The museum was opened in 1967. The collection includes a donation from the painter Karl Schmidt-Rottluff to Berlin, and a later donation from Erich Heckel featuring key works from the early years of the movement. Afterwards the collection was systematically enriched and today it comprises 400 pieces of art that reflect various creative periods in the lives of the artists.

Address: Bussardsteig 9
Opening hours: Mon, Wed - Sun 11 am - 5 pm, Tue closed
How to reach: Dahlem-Dorf U3
Coordinates: 52.466534, 13.275163