Basilica of St. Bartholomew on the Island (San Bartolomeo all'Isola)

Basilica di San Bartolomeo all'Isola Tiberina

The Tiber Island is a small strap of land in a shape of a boat located at the Tiber river to the south of Vatican. According to the legend, in the III century BC a group of Romans came back to Greece from a trip to the Sybils with a task to build a temple of Asclepius, Greek god of medicine and healing, in order to get rid of the plague. Several centuries later in 998 young Emperor Otto III was willing to immortalize the first bishop of Prague, Adalbert of Prague, who was martyred in 997, and founded San Bartolomeo all'Isola on the island on the remains of the ancient temple of Asclepius. It is believed that Otto supervised the construction works using ancient Roman columns and other antique materials. The remains of Adalbert were lost; here lie the relics of the apostle Bartholomew, whose name the church bears. San Bartolomeo all'Isola has undergone several renovations, including in 1583 after the flooding when the reconstruction was supervised by Martino Longhi Junior. After renovation in 1624 the church received its present day exterior. The interior was changed on several occasions assuming many Baroque elements. There are 4 statues at the steps of the church: the Savior, St. Adalbert of Prague with a bishop’s staff, St. Bartholomew and Otto III with a crown and a scepter.

Address: Piazza di San Bartolomeo all'Isola, 22
Opening hours: Mon-Sat 9.30 am – 1.30 pm, 3.30 pm – 5.30 pm, Sun 9.30 am – 1 pm
How to reach: use Ponte Fabricio or Ponte Cestio
Coordinates: 41.890346, 12.478196