Sant'Andrea delle Fratte

Sant'Andrea delle Fratte

This church Sant'Andrea delle Fratte is dedicated to Saint Andrew and is remarkable for the fact that one of the greatest Italian architects of the Baroque period Francesco Borromini worked on the apse, campanile and the cupola in 1653. After his death the work was continued by Mattia de Rossi. The campanile is adorned with caryatids in the shape of angels and the images of flaming angels along with volutes supporting the spire of the church. The campanile is also called "dancing" as it sways a little when the bells ring. The current church was built over the pre-existing one, erected in 1192 and until 1585 it was the national church of the Scottish people in Rome when Pope Sixtus VI assigned it to the Minim friars, the Catholic order that was established in Italy by Saint Francis of Paola.

Inside the church there are the originals of the two beautiful angels created by the non-less famous sculptor and architect of the Baroque period Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini for the Ponte Sant’Angelo: angel with an inscription INRI and angel with the crown of thorns. The Angels were ordered by Pope Clementus IX who considered them to be too valuable to be exhibited under the sky. Until 1729 the sculptures were kept in the Bernini family and were later transferred to the church. Sant'Andrea delle Fratte became the burial place for painter Angelica Kauffman, sculptor Rudolph Schadow and portraitist Orest Kiprensky.

Address: Via di S. Andrea delle Fratte, 1
Opening hours: Mon-Sun 6.15 am – 1 pm, 4 pm – 7 pm
How to reach: Spagna, Barberini
Coordinates: 41.903633, 12.483848