Villa Doria Pamphili

Villa Doria Pamphilj

The Villa Doria Pamphili is the magnificent estate, located on the hill where the ancient road of the Via Aurelia commences. A small estate was already existent on this spot in 1630 when Pamphili family bought the villa for country residence. In 1644 Cardinal Giambattista Pamphili became elected to the papacy and took the name of Innocent X. The change in status required strengthening of the authority of Pamphili family in Rome, thus, the Pope aspired to a grander and more expansively sited new villa and started purchasing neighbouring sites and vineyards. Sculptor Alessandro Algardi who was in the shade of Gian Lorenzo Bernini for quite a long time developed the design of the palace. As Algardi was not an architect by profession he involved in the project such specialists as Giovanni Francesco Grimaldi, Carlo Rainaldi and probably Francesco Borromini as well.

The major mansion of four floors was completed in 1652 while the wings of the building were never constructed as it was too complicated to build them on the slope of the hill. The luxurious palace in Baroque style looks especially exquisite on the background of the park, the largest park in Rome which total area amounts to 9 sq. km. The facade of the palace was decorated with bass reliefs and niches which were elaborately adorned with sculptures, both antique and modern. Interior of the palace was decorated with frescoes in Mannerist style. The territory of the park with numerous groves and lawns hides many different fountains – from small ones to large with elaborate design. The park is a nice place to meet the sunset amidst beautiful pines. Compared to other villas of those times Villa Doria Pamphili was not purposed for already existing collection of antiques (like Villa Borgese, for example). Cardinal Pamphili purchased art pieces including the antique ones to decorate the villa. Later on the villa was transferred to Doria family and since then, the villa has been known as the Villa Doria Pamphili. In 1971 the villa was sold to the City Hall of Rome. Currently the park is open for the public and is very popular among the citizens and tourists.

Address: Via di San Pancrazio
Opening hours: Oct-Feb 7 am – 6 pm, Mar, Sep 7 am- 8 pm, Apr-Aug 7 am – 9 pm
How to reach: Baldo degli Ubaldi
Coordinates: 41.886927, 12.444944