Palazzo Capranica

Palazzo Capranica

Palazzo Capranica is one of the few buildings in Rome that refer to the Early Renaissance period. The construction of the palace was ordered by Cardinal Domenico Capranica. It was to serve as the dwelling residence for cardinal's family and a place for then future theological school that was established by cardinal in 1457. Outside appearance of the palace looks very much like a castle. Between the Gothic windows of the building one can see the coat of arms of the Capranica family and above the entrance there is the date of the construction – 1451. At the end of the XVII century another member of the Capranica family, Pompei Capranica, established in the building the theatre that was opened in 1679 with the opera by Bernardo Pasquini. This was the second public theatre in Rome famous for numerous new productions. The theatre functioned until 1881, later between 1922 and 2000 it functioned as the cinema theatre, since 2000 it has been a concert and music hall. Capranica Palace is much loved by political parties. In 2013 Silvio Berlusconi gave a two-hour speech in the palace.

Address: Piazza Capranica, 101
Coordinates: 41.900153, 12.477711