Sant’Ignazio Church

Sant'Ignazio di Loyola a Campo Marzio

Not far away from the Pantheon there is the church of St. Ignatius of Loyola at Campus Martius. It was built by the order of Pope Gregory XV between 1626 and 1650 and was dedicated to Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus. Jesuits participated in the Counter-Reformation, were actively involved in science, education and missionary work. The church was built in the Baroque style. The interior of Sant’Ignazio Church was decorated with precious stones, ornaments, stucco figural relief, sculptures, marble and extensive gilding. Andrea Pozzo, the famous Italian painter and mathematician, painted the grandiose fresco that stretches across the nave ceiling (1690). It celebrates the work of Saint Ignatius and the Society of Jesus in the world. Pozzo achieved to make the actual plane surface of the nave’s vault to make an observer see a huge and lofty cupola. The apse is decorated with frescoes picturing life and work of Saint Ignatius. Plan of the church with numerous chapels reminds of the Church of Gesu that was built between 1568 and 1584, became the first church of the Society of Jesus in Rome and the burial place for Ignatius of Loyola. Sant’Ignazio Church hosts the tombs of two respected Jesuits – St Aloysius Gonzaga and Saint John Berchman.

Address: Via del Caravita, 8А
Opening hours: Mon-Sat 7.30 am – 7 pm, Sun and holidays 9 am - 7 pm, Aug 9 am – 7 pm; free excursions: Tue, Thu, Sat 3 pm – 6 pm, except August
Coordinates: 41.898767, 12.479865