Treptower Park

Treptower Park

Treptower Park is the second largest (after the Big Tiergarten) park in Berlin. The decision to lay out a park in this spot was made in 1876. Major innovation was to make it open to all Berlin citizens. Portrait sculpture of Gustav Meyer, the founder of the park, can be found in the western part of Treptower park. During the second half of the XX century the park was actively developed: there were set up sunflowers and roses gardens, were installed sculptures and a fountain. Still Treptower park today is not only a wonderful recreation space for citizens of the city and the tourists but also a memorial. There is a statue of mother Russia weeping over her dead sons at the entrance to the park. Central part of the park is home to bodies of about 7 000 Soviet soldiers who died in the Second World War. Soviet War Memorial was opened in the park on 8 May 1949. In the centre of the composition there is a 12-meter statue of the Soviet Soldier with swastika under his feet. He holds a saved German child, a girl, in one hand and a sword in the other. Granite used for creation of this memorial was once construction material for Hitler’s Reich Chancellery.

Address: Puschkinallee
Opening hours: 24h
How to reach: Treptower Park S8, S9, S41, S42, S45, S46, S85
Coordinates: 52.492136, 13.462837