A magnificent example of Classical architecture, this outstanding Russian landscape gardening masterpiece was created in the late 18th century. The story of this residence begins in 1777 when Empress Catherine II gifted these lands to her heir, to-be-emperor Paul, on the birthday of his first-born, Alexander (future Alexander I).

The main creator of the Pavlovsk architectural ensemble was Scottish expert Charles Cameron, Empress Catherine's favorite architect. Under his guidance and according to his plans the palace and one of the best landscape parks of Russia were established and unusual park pavilions were created, such as the Temple of Friendship, the Three Graces, Apollo colonnade. The Pavlovsk Palace was built in the 1780s. In 1797 the mockup castle of Bip was set up and reminded of every noon with a canon shot.

Paul considered the first version of the palace not magnificent enough, so he later ordered Vincenzio Brenna to expand it. Later other renowned architects, such as Andrei Voronikhin, Giacomo Quarenghi and Carlo Rossi, worked on the palace. Luxurious interiors are decorated with paintings, vintage furniture, fine porcelain sets, antique sculptures. Marie Antoinette presented Paul's wife, Maria Feodorovna, with a unique toilet set of Sevres porcelain. In Pavlovsk you will also see gifts from Pope Pius VI. After Paul was enthroned Pavlovsk became the official suburban imperial residence. After Paul's death Maria Feodorovna, the widowed empress, lived here. Paul's descendents continued to inhabit this mansion, which later became private, up until the Revolution of 1917.

In 1836 Russia's first railroad was built to link Pavlovsk and Tsarskoye Selo, and Pavlovsk terminal was established to greet the visitors. Starting from the second half of the 19th century the terminal was hosting music concerts that for 10 years had Johann Strauss himself as the director. After the Revolution of 1917 the palace was looted and lots of its treasures were sold to foreign countries. Before the Nazi occupation part of the museum collection was evacuated and thus saved for the future generations.

Address: Sadovaya St., 20 (Ulitsa Sadovaya, 20), Pavlovsk, Saint-Petersburg
Opening hours: daily 6 am – 12 am, guided tour starts at 1.30 pm (lasts for 1.5 hour, groups under 25 persons).
How to reach: by suburban trains from Vitebsky railway station to Pavlovsk station (Pavlovsk terminal); from Kupchino railway station to Pavlovsk (Pavlovsk terminal); from Moskovskaya metro station by shuttle 299 to the Pavlovsk Palace, by shuttle 545 to Pavlovsk terminal; by shuttle 363 from Zvyozdnaya metro station to Pavlovsk terminal; by bus 179 to Pavlovsk terminal; by shuttle 286, buses 521, 545A from Kupchino metro station to the Pavlovsk Palace; from Pavlovsk terminal to the Pavlovsk Palace by buses 370, 372, 375A, 383, 493 and shuttles 286, 299, 521.
Coordinates: 59.686116, 30.457224