Brandenburg Gate

Brandenburger Tor

Earlier in the history there were 18 gates leading to Berlin but only Brandenburg Gate survived to our days. It is not an overstatement to call Brandenburg Gate the symbol of Berlin. Initially the gate was designed to represent peace wherefrom comes the original name the Peace Gate. King Friedrich Wilhelm II inspired by the Athens Parthenon ordered to decorate the gate to the city by monumental and impressive Greek columns. The works were completed in 1791; the famous Quadriga was installed atop the gate two years later. Napoleon was so impressed by the monument that he took Quadriga to Paris. Quadriga was restored to Berlin in 1814. It was now redesigned and the goddess of peace became the goddess of victory holding the Iron Cross instead of the olive crown. For Nazis the Gate was a party symbol, in 1945 it was the only structure standing in the Pariser Platz ruins. In 1961 Brandenburg Gate was closed and became a part of the Berlin Wall but in 1989 when the wall fell, the gate was reopened and became the symbol of freedom and unity of the city. It is now impossible to drive through the Brandenbourg Gate as it was during Friedrich Wilhelm II times, but passing through the gate is must for all the tourists.

Address: Pariser Platz
How to reach: Bundestag U55
Coordinates: 52.516312, 13.377763