Theatre of Musical Comedy

Teatr muzykalnoi komediyi

The Theatre’s building was constructed in 1801 as a guest house, and had since been redesigned several times. In 1896 it was bought by Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolayevich, who gave it to his favourite, an actress of Alexandrinsky Theatre, Maria Pototskaya. Since 1910 the building housed the Palace Theatre, then the Comical Opera Theatre, and since 1929 – the Music Hall, whose musical director was famed Russian composer Isaac Dunayevskiy.

The Theatre of Musical Comedy was established in the autumn of 1929 and opened with a popular operetta Bondmaid by Nikolai Strelnikov. The Theatre of Musical Comedy moved to its current building in 1938, and was the only theatre, which worked throughout the entire siege of the city. Under continuous bombing and shelling the Theatre was staging two performances daily! The Theatre’s troop would visit battlefields, hospitals, the Ladoga lifeline; altogether during this period the actors played over a thousand shows.

In the 1970s-1980s the list of the theatre’s productions was bolstered with such famous plays as the Krechinsky’s Wedding, the Affair, Truffaldino, the Firebird by Alexander Kolker, the Wedding with a General by Evgeniy Ptichkin and many others, which nowadays make up the Hall of Fame of the Musical Theatre’s history. Over the recent years, classical operetta and musicals are being given new birth on the Theatre’s stage, while its annual spring concerts along with the Theatre’s own leading soloists feature the operetta stars from Austria, Hungary, Romania, Germany, Spain, and other countries.

Address: Italyanskaya St., 13 (Italyanskaya ulitsa, 13)
Opening hours: box office 11 am – 7 pm, closed between 3 pm and 4 pm; advance ticket sales until 6 pm
How to reach: Nevskiy Prospekt, Gostiny Dvor metro stations
Coordinates: 59.936144, 30.332956