Komissarzhevskaya Academic Drama Theatre

Akademichesky dramatichesky teatr Komissarzhevskoy

It was in the midst of the toughest war days, during the siege in 1942, when a new Gorodskoy (Urban) Theatre was opened with a play Russian People by Konstantin Simonov; the troop of the new theatre was formed by the actors of several local theatres. Leningrad citizens dubbed it the Sieged Theatre. In the autumn of 1944 the Theatre was given a new name – Leningrad Drama Theatre. This is where a young director Igor Vladimirov, actress Alisa Freindlich, and actor Igor Dmitriyev began their careers.

In 1959 the Theatre was named after Vera Komissarzhevskaya and was headed by director Mar Sulimov. He staged a play Children of the Sun by Maxim Gorky dedicated to the memory of the great actress. This play, in which Komissarzhevskaya also acted, was first staged in the theatre created by her in 1904. In 1966-1991 the Theatre was led by Ruben Agamirzyan, who directed the famous staging of Alexey Tolstoy’s trilogy consisting of Tsar Fyodor Ioannovich, The Death of Ivan the Terrible, and Tsar Boris, which became the signature production of the Theatre. The main emphasis in the repertoire was given to the Soviet drama plays by Chinghiz Aitmatov, Vasil Bykov, Nodar Dumbadze, Grigoriy Gorin, Mikhail Shatrov.

Since 1992 the artistic director of the Theatre is Viktor Novikov. Directors of different generations stage their productions here, while the playbills advertise lyrical comedies, as well as dramas, and tragicomedies.

Address: Italyanskaya St., 19 (Italyanskaya ulitsa, 19)
Opening hours: box office 11 am – 7 pm, closed between 3 pm and 4 pm
How to reach: Nevskiy Prospekt, Gostiny Dvor metro stations
Coordinates: 59.936040, 30.335349