Mariinsky Theatre

Mariinsky teatr

Amazing performances, world premiers and productions featuring top stars. At the stage of that theater sang Feodor Chaliapin and Leonid Sobinov, Maria Maksakova and Anna Netrebko, danced Vaslav Nijinsky and Tamara Karsavina, Marius Petipa, Anna Pavlova, Galina Ulanova, Rudolf Nureyev and Mikhail Baryshnikov. One of Russia's best theaters of opera and ballet, a symbol of Russian culture, the Mariinsky Theater starts its story from the Bolshoi (Kamenny) Theater, built in 1783 by Empress Catherine the Great.

Originally the theater was located in a building that in 1886 was rebuilt to become the Saint Petersburg Conservatory. So in 1860 on the site of a burnt down theater circus in front of the Bolshoi theater architect Alberto Cavos erected the theater that later would be called Mariinsky, after Empress Maria Alexandrovna, wife of Emperor Alexander II. The first theater season opened on October 2, 1860 by Glinka's A Life for the Tsar opera. The theater was also the first to premier in 1890 Pyotr Tchaikovsky's The Queen of Spades opera. Between 1883 and 1896 the facade of the building was reconstructed, yet the interior decoration of the magnificent concert hall remained intact: the "Tsar's Box", a unique cut-glass chandelier, gorgeous drapery and magnificent hall decorations. The theater is very cautious in everything that concerns the cultural heritage. For instance, here you can see Pyotr Tchaikovsky's The Swan Lake ballet as it was produced in 1890. Since 1988 the general director of the Mariinsky theater has been famous conductor Valery Gergiev.

In 2006 the new concert hall of the Mariinsky Theater was presented and today it hosts concerts of the Mariinsky Orchestra and by guest artists. The second stage of the Mariinsky Theater (Mariinsky-2) opened in 2013 in 34, Dekabristov St. Unfortunately, this new ultra modern architectural construction made of glass and aluminum received extremely negative feedback from the architect community and the public. Internet uses swiftly nicknamed the building a "concrete box" and "the killer of Kryukov Canal embankment". In order to build that second stage several known city buildings were demolished.

Address: Teatralnaya Sq., 1 (Teatralnaya ploschad, 1)
How to reach: by bus 3, 22, 27 from Nevskiy Prospekt, Gostiny Dvor, Admiralteyskaya metro stations; by shuttles K-1, K-124, K-169, K-186, K-350 and buses 70, 71 from Sadovaya, Sennaya Ploschad, Spasskaya metro statios; by buses 70, 71 and shuttles K-124, K-350 from Tekhnologicheskiy Institut metro station, by shuttles K-62, K-186 from Baltiyskaya metro station, by shuttles K-1, K-2, K-154, K-169, K-306, K-306a and buses 2, 6 from Narvskaya metro station.
Coordinates: 59.925684, 30.296121