Kolomenskoye Museum Reserve

Kolomenskoye

The history of Kolomenskoye village, situated on the road leading from Moscow to the town of Kolomna, dates back to the 14th century, though its golden age falls on the 17th century, when it becomes the favourite estate of tsar Alexis I, who had a splendid wooden Kolomenskoye Palace built for him with numerous halls connected with passages.

Currently the Museum Reserve hosts a number of structures including Alexis’ Palace, Peter the Great house, various stone chambers and other historical buildings. Peter the Great wooden house was built in 1702 during his visit to Novodvinsk fortress. In 1877 the house was brought to Arkhangelsk, and in 1934 it was transferred to Kolomenskoye. This is the only memorial museum in Moscow dedicated to Peter the Great, who stayed in it for over two months overlooking the construction of the fortress and commissioning new ships.

The Church of Our Lady of Kazan (built in 1653 in Moscow Baroque style) keeps one of the most precious Orthodox icons – Our Lady Derzhavnaya (17th century), which was rediscovered in 1917 in the basement of the Church of the Ascension and the revered 16th century copy of another icon – Our Lady of Kazan. An outstanding example of Russian architecture, Church of John the Baptist in Dyakovo is the only remaining 16th century multi-axial church besides St. Basil’s Cathedral. Most historians believe that the Church was commissioned by Ivan the Terrible to commemorate his accession to the throne. The museum of St. George’s Church (17th century) with a bell tower dated to the mid-16th century, features an exhibition of icons, early printed books, manuscripts, glazed ceramic tiles and many other objects. The wooden Church of St. George was built with birch-tree logs in 1685 in Arkhangelsk region, brought to Moscow in 2008 and reconstructed in Kolomenskoye. What makes this Church unique is that its original design remained almost completely unchanged!

The management of the Estate is looking after 600 years old oak-trees as if they were the nature monuments. Many people come to the Estate during the warm season to relax on the river bank, or in the shade of the ancient apple garden. Kolomenskoye often hosts various concerts and entertainment events including the Afisha Picnic annual music festival, as well as the Honey Fair. The Estate is equipped with a playground for children, fast-food stalls and coffee-shops.

Address: 39 Andropova Avenue (prospekt Andropova, 39)
Opening hours: the Museum Reserve is open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. The expos operate as follows: summer season (1 April – 29 September) – Tue-Fri, Sun from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sat 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., closed on Mondays; winter season (30 September – 31 March) – Tue-Sun from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., closed on Mondays.
How to reach: Kolomenskaya metro station
Coordinates: 55.669647, 37.665551